I am frantic and a pipe burst so I called a plumber. Is there anything I need to know!


  1. Keep the damaged pipe
  2. Take a before and after picture.
  3. Make sure he writes a detailed invoice of what was damaged and how he repaired it.
  4. I there is damage getting to it what do I do? Remember, you insurance policy does not cover the repair of the pipe or water leak but it does cover the resulting damages. That mean getting to the leak and repairing may require you to open a wall or pull up the flooring and break the concrete foundation to get to the pipe. So have your plumber separate the invoices. The repair will usually not be covered but the resulting damage will in most cases be covered.
  5. The plumber may also be a contractor or refer a restoration company. Do your own due diligence. Shut the water off at the source and take a deep breathe. Then you should call a Public Adjuster first to discuss your claim. Then make sure you hire the right remediation company to mitigate your damages. The wrong company could cost you 10’s of thousands of dollars. They provided time stamped pictures and they will moisture map your house if they are good. They will look for visible mold if the claim is a few days old.
  6. The restoration technician should be IICRC Certified.
  7. And if they work for the Insurance Carrier or are referred by the carrier they may not have your best interest at heart. Remember they may get 90% of their work from the carrier so they may cut corners to keep cost low for the carrier in order to maintain a healthy stream of business.
  8. Call and Experienced Public Adjuster as soon as the loss happens. We will guide you through the process and help make sure no mistakes are made. (407) 212-8669